With colder weather coming its way as we enter the later part of the year, dry lips can be a common complaint but it doesn’t have to be! There are lots of super simple things you can do to have soft, hydrated lips all year long. Keep reading to learn how to make dry lips a thing of the past, and comment any tips YOU have as well!
Soft Lips Tip 1: Stay Hydrated
Dry lips are often a sign of hydration. Drink water throughout the day (I aim for half my body weight in ounces) and be especially mindful on warmer days or after exercise. Cute waterbottles help too, such as this adorable one from Ivory Ella!
Soft Lips Tip 2: Stop Licking Your Lips
Excess saliva can damage the protective barrier of your lips, leading to more dryness. Instead, make sure to use a good balm, gloss, or lip moisturizer to ADD hydration to lips. My favorites are SeneGence’s Moisturizing Lip Balm, LipSense Lip Gloss (so hydrating!) and SeneGence’s Lip Volumizer for full soft lips without any tingling.
Soft Lips Tip 3: Protect
Protecting your lips is crucial! A humidifier can replace moisture if the air inside is dry. Covering lips with your scarf in extremely cold weather can offer protection (or just stay in So. Cal forever like me) And wearing sunscreen on your lips or LipSense since it creates an awesome mechanical shield will protect as well. My favorite sunscreen is Elta MD, and I’m protected each day just from wearing LipSense lipstick.
Soft Lips Tip 4: Exfoliate if needed
If your lips feel like they need some extra love, an easy DIY lip scrub is to mix a bit of sugar with coconut oil and honey, gently rub on lips, and rinse! Lip exfoliants are one of those things to skip the fancy purchase – a homemade one is going to do the same trick so save your $$ for good quality makeup instead 😉
Soft Lips Tip 5: Eat your Fruits and Veggies
Foods containing vitamins B and C are good for your mind, body, and skin. Whenever I’m eating good, clean foods I always notice softer lips and brighter skin as a result. A trick is to aim for eating 5 colors a day – Cara Clark, an incredible Orange County based nutritionist, has fabulous recipes, smoothies, meal plans and challenge groups so that you can easily incorporate healthier foods into your life.
I of course have some incredible products so that you too can have soft lips 365 days a year – I’ve put two of my favorite together in a special bundle where you can get a $10 savings!
- Our moisturizing lip balm contains shea butter, cocoa butter, and coconut oil for ultimate hydration. Moisture rich botanicals help to bind hydration to lips and SenePlex® Complex provides anti-aging and restorative benefits. The lightweight formula is fragrance-free with a matte finish.
- Our Lip Volumizer uses the most advanced and natural technologies designed to support lasting results of full, pouty lips.
- Works to increase lip volume up to 20% and lip moisture up to 54% with one month of daily use
- Get fuller, noticeably smoother lips without the use of irritants
- Helps to minimize feathering and fine lines around the mouth with SenePlex® complex for increased cellular renewal
Thanks so much for reading my post about how to keep dry lips away – I do an educational series each week in my private Facebook community if you’d like to join, and you can also see all the graphics I design on Pinterest 🙂 XOXO – Nicole